Today I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes I’ve been making for dinner recently! Sometimes I just get a major craving for salad, and although I don’t think my husband could say the same, this has become a meal he gets excited about! Juicy, baked, seasoned chicken thighs (or breasts) are the perfect compliment to this hearty salad loaded with veggies and protein-filled quinoa. Topped with a simple oil and vinegar based dressing, this meal is delicious and satisfying even for people (like my husband) who don’t usually choose a salad for their main course.
As I’ve mentioned before on the blog and in my Instagram stories, Jack and I eat A LOT, and I mean a lot. And now with a growing little boy in our family, I find myself even making more food than I was previously. Not only that, I try to also make enough for Jack to take in his lunch the next day, so he can avoid buying something at work if possible. This recipe could feed as many as six individuals, OR 2-4 hungry people WITH some leftover.
I seasoned the chicken with oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, a pinch of turmeric, salt and pepper. My recommendation would be to add the salt afterward, and only a little at a time. The last time I made this, I added a bit too much salt, and that’s pretty much the point of no return.
1-2 bags of spring mix greens
diced red onion
diced hothouse cucumber
cherry tomatoes, halved
This is my best approximation, I usually just sprinkle and pour until it “looks about right” hahaha.
3 TBSP red wine vinegar
1.5 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP oregano
1 pinch of salt (you can always add more later)
1/4 TSP black pepper
1 TSP garlic powder
1 TSP onion powder
Shake vigorously to combine! If you have leftover dressing, you can leave it in a sealed container on the counter for up to 3 days (if you refrigerate it, the oil will solidify).
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine chicken seasonings in a small bowl. Rinse chicken thighs & pat dry, then carefully sprinkle the seasoning mixture onto both sides of each thigh. Place onto the parchment paper.
3. Once chicken thighs are seasoned, put the tray into the oven for 25-30 minutes, OR until a thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted (without touching bone).
4. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions.
5. Assemble the salad dressing ingredients in your jar or other container with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine.
6. Add spring mix into a large serving bowl. Dice red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, artichoke hearts & add to the salad. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top. You can add the dressing now, or once it is served.
7. Once the quinoa is finished, you can allow it to cool before adding it to the salad, OR add immediately.
8. Once chicken is done in the oven, take it out and pick up the juices from the tray, using a basting brush. Brush the juices onto the chicken thighs, and let them rest for 5 minutes.
9. Serve & enjoy!